Historical Regional Policy Statement Review Documents
About the review
All regions must have a Regional Policy Statement (RPS), and are required to review it every 10 years. In 2007, the Waikato Region Council began the process of evaluating the RPS that had become operative in 2000.
What was the review process?
- Completion of evaluation documents and preparation of a working draft of the RPS.
- Adoption of the Proposed RPS
- Notification for submissions.
- Notification of the summary of submissions - people had the opportunity to lodge further submissions in support or opposition.
- Submitters had the opportunity to attend hearings at the council.
- Council decided on the submissions and notified submitters of the outcome.
- Submitters had the opportunity to lodge an appeal to the Environment Court.
- The Environment Court resolved the appeals.
- The 2016 Regional Policy Statement became fully operative.
Historical Regional Policy Statement documents
This section provides an archive of some of the documents which contributed to the review of the Regional Policy Statement.
Staff Report on Submissions (Volume One)
Staff Report on Submissions (Volume Two)
Proposed Waikato Regional Policy Statement ('Staff Strikethrough')
- The decisions version of the Proposed Waikato Regional Policy Statement incorporates the Hearing Committee’s decisions on the submissions and further submissions:
Volume 1: Decisions on Chapters 1 to 7
Volume 2: Decisions on Chapter 8 to the end
Volume 3: RPS “Strikethrough” version
Volume 4: RPS “clean” version
Volume 5: Section 32(2) analysis
- 37 appeals were lodged with the Environment Court against the decisions on the Proposed Waikato Regional Policy Statement. Consent Orders were issued by the Environment Court to resolve the appeals. The consent orders are available here.
Operative Regional Policy Statement
- The Regional Policy Statement became operative on 20 May 2016. A PDF copy of the RPS can be downloaded here:
The Waikato Regional Policy Statement Te Tauākī Kaupapa here ā-Rohe