Thames Coast Investigation Report
The Thames Coast River Flood Hazard Engineering Investigation Report details Waikato Regional Council's technical investigation into river flood hazards affecting the Tararu, Te Puru, Waiomu/Pohue, Tapu and Coromandel Town communities. You can use this page to view, print or copy sections of this Report in PDF format (black and white).
The Thames Coast River Flood Hazard Engineering Investigation Report was commissioned as part of the Thames Coast Project. This Project aims to deal with issues associated with river flooding in the area as part of ongoing consultation with the Thames Coast community.
The Investigation Report backgrounds the Thames Coast environment and the methodology used to measure the nature of the river flood hazards in the Thames Coast area. The Report also provides a range of mitigation options for each community, which suggest ways in which any potential effects or threats posed by hazardous flooding areas can be reduced or prevented.
Please note that while the documents below are in black and white, a number of diagrams and maps within them rely on colour. Colour copies of these diagrams or maps are available to purchase from Waikato Regional Council on request. See our publications pages to order a printed copy of this Investigation Report, the Thames Coast Project Summary Report or colour copies of any individual diagrams or maps contained in these reports.
You can view, print or copy information from the Investigation Report in PDF format below.
Introduction, Background, Objective and Methodology
This section contains:
- a brief introduction to the report
- background information outlining the reasons why flooding is such a major issue for the Thames Coast communities
- a brief statement of the purpose and aims of the Report and an outline of the methodology used for both the hazard and engineering assessments.
Investigation Report - Introduction, Background, Objective and Methodology
(1305 kb, 186 seconds to download, 56k modem)
Site Specific Design
Each PDF below outlines:
- the hazard, risk and engineering investigation work that has been undertaken for each of the five communities
- some possible risk mitigation options and recommends a preferred option for the community concerned.
Site Specific Design - Tararu Community and the Tararu Stream
(1215 kb, 173 seconds to download, 56k modem)
Site Specific Design - Te Puru Community and the Te Puru Stream
(1358 kb, 194 seconds to download, 56k modem)
Site Specific Design - Waiomu Community, the Waiomu Stream and the Pohue Stream
(1187 kb, 169 seconds to download, 56k modem)
Site Specific Design - Tapu Community and the Tapu River
(1244 kb, 177 seconds to download, 56k modem)
Site Specific Design - Coromandel Town and the Whangarahi Stream
(1903 kb, 271 seconds to download, 56k modem)
Climate Change, Environmental Management and References
This section contains:
- the assumptions used in the report which take into account any future climate change effects
- details on the possible effects the proposed risk mitigation works may have on the environment
Investigation Report - Climate Change, Environmental Management and References
(86 kb, 12 seconds to download, 56k modem)