PROPOSED WAIKATO REGIONAL PLAN CHANGE 1
- Water quality has consistently been identified as the top issue for the people of the Waikato region for the past two decades.
- Healthy Rivers/Wai Ora: Proposed Waikato Regional Plan Change 1 is the bold response to addressing the complex issue of water quality facing our Waipa and Waikato rivers.
- Nitrogen, phosphorus, sediment and bacteria levels are rising in our waterways. We need to tackle these issues now to ensure the health of our rivers going into the future.
- The notification of the Healthy Rivers/Wai Ora: Proposed Waikato Regional Plan Change 1 triggers the community’s opportunity to have their say on the proposed plan change.
These are your rivers, this is your plan, have your say.
- There is a considerable investment already made by many to improving water quality in our rivers.
The changes we are looking to make ensure we are all playing our part.
- The proposed plan change has been developed using a collaborative process that means those who are most affected by the changes have been at the table developing the policy.
- We are taking a staged approach that balances the social, economic, cultural and environmental needs of our region managing water quality over an 80-year period.
- This is the foundation decade for change.
- The proposed plan change is required to give effect to Government legislation on the management of fresh water and Te Ture Whaimana o Te Awa o Waikato (The Vision and Strategy
for the Waikato and Waipā rivers) which was introduced by Government as part of Treaty Settlement legislation.
A different view
We've made a video to help you understand what's going on. Take a look!
TIP: To view a larger video in YouTube click on the YouTube logo.