Environment Waikato is providing a bus service designed to take the hassle out of getting to next Saturday’s Balloons Over Waikato Nightglow event.
The park and ride service, running for the first time this year, will allow people to walk or drive to one of eight car parks around Hamilton and take a bus to Innes Common.
There will be no charge for parking.
Buses will depart at 2.30pm, 3.30pm, 4.30pm and 5.30pm from the following Hamilton car parks:
- Peachgrove Intermediate – Peachgrove Rd
- Hamilton Gardens – Camellia Park, gate two, Cobham Drive
- Melville High School – Collins Rd
- Western Community Centre – Hyde Avenue
- Eastern Suburbs Sports Club – Commodore Ave, Flagstaff
- Wintec – Avalon Dr, Te Rapa
- University of Waikato – gate one, Knighton Rd
- Frankton Primary School – Massey St
They will return to these car parks as soon as the fireworks display is finished, leaving from Lake Domain Drive.
“This is a new idea, designed to provide a convenient, hassle-free way for people to travel to and from the Nightglow without worrying about traffic jams and parking headaches,” said Environment Waikato’s passenger transport spokesperson Paula Southgate.
“A huge crowd is expected for the event, so we hope lots of people will take advantage of this service.”
The bus will cost $1.40 each way with a BUSIT! card (available from the driver) or $2 cash. A special return pass costing $5 (cash) will be available for family groups of up to two adults and up to four children traveling together.